Skip to content

Gossip News

All gossip news and events

Konga Advert
Menu
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy
Menu
Aliko Dangote

Vitol, Sunoco take first gasoline cargo from Nigeria’s Dangote to the US, sources say

Posted on September 16, 2025 by Admin

September 16, 2025

Top global oil trader Vitol and North American fuel distributor Sunoco took delivery of the first U.S. import of gasoline from Nigeria’s new Dangote refinery on Monday, according to vessel-tracking data and two sources familiar with the matter.

The delivery, on the tanker Gemini Pearl, marks a major milestone for the 650,000 barrel-per-day Dangote refinery, as energy market participants had been waiting to see when its production would start meeting strict U.S. motor fuels standards.

Vitol purchased the Gemini Pearl’s cargo of around 320,000 barrels of gasoline from Geneva, Switzerland-based Mocoh Oil, and sold most of it to Sunoco, according to one source and ship-tracking data.

It was not immediately clear what volume Vitol sold to Sunoco and how much it will keep.

See also  Import licence dispute: Court adjourns Dangote Refinery’s 100bn suit against NNPCL, others to Nov. 5

The vessel discharged at Sunoco’s Linden facility in the New York Harbor area, vessel-tracking data showed.

The sources requested anonymity to discuss confidential details. Vitol and Sunoco did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Reuters is the first to report the parties involved in these trades.

Mocoh Oil, which earlier this year confirmed a partnership with Dangote to export products from the refinery, did not immediately comment outside of business hours in Switzerland.

After a string of startup delays, the Dangote refinery, one of the world’s biggest, has reshaped global energy flows by ramping up output sharply since last year.

It is expected to significantly reduce Nigeria’s fuel imports, while exporting its surplus mainly to Europe.

A second cargo of gasoline from Dangote to the U.S. was sold by Glencore to Shell on the vessel MH Daisen, which is set to arrive in the New York Harbor area around September 19, one of the sources said and ship-tracking data showed.

See also  Dangote Refinery says crude inflow reduction driven by high prices, not faults

Glencore declined to comment, and Shell did not immediately respond.

Vitol also purchased from Mocoh a third cargo of gasoline made by the Dangote refinery, with the vessel Seaexplorer set to deliver that in the New York Harbor area around September 22, the sources said.

The sources said the destination of the undelivered cargoes could change based on market conditions.

While the cargoes back expectations that the Dangote refinery is set to sharply alter global energy trade, they are likely to be the only ones for a while.

See also  RMRDC targets 30% value addition policy on export of local raw materials

The refinery’s gasoline-producing unit could be shut for two to three months for repairs, industry monitor IIR Energy said earlier this month.

Dangote did not respond to Reuters’ earlier requests for comment on the outage.

REUTERS

Related Posts

  • Aliko Dangote
    Dangote refinery's gasoline unit expected to be offline for at least two weeks - Sources say

    September 3, 2025 The gasoline producing unit at Nigeria's 650,000 barrel-per-day Dangote refinery has been…

  • Minister
    Nigeria's daily oil output plunged 16% during brief Dangote refinery strike

    October 2, 2025 Nigeria's daily oil and gas production slumped during a brief nationwide strike…

  • Aliko Dangote
    Nigeria's Dangote refinery gasoline unit could be shut for 2-3 months - IIR says

    September 4, 2025 The gasoline unit at Nigeria's 650,000 barrel-per-day Dangote refinery may be shut…

ADVERTISEMENT

NCC Advert

Tinubu Advert

Advert

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro
  • Reps resume hearing on alleged N1.2trn agric intervention fund misappropriation

Categories

  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026 November 22, 2025
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity November 22, 2025
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward November 22, 2025
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro November 20, 2025
©2025 Gossip News

...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None