Skip to content

Gossip News

All gossip news and events

Konga Advert
Menu
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy
Menu

Nigerian regulator pulls approval for TotalEnergies’ $860 million asset sale to Chappal Energies

Posted on September 23, 2025 by Admin

September 23, 2025

TotalEnergies’ sale of a minority stake in a Nigerian onshore oil producer has fallen through, Nigerian regulators said on Tuesday, in a setback to the French oil major’s strategy to sell mature, polluting assets and pay down debt.

Total agreed in July 2024 to sell its 10% stake in Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC) to Mauritius-based Chappal Energies, one of a wave of divestments by oil majors in recent years of onshore Nigerian oil assets.

However, regulatory approval for the sale granted last October has been withdrawn because the two sides have not met financial commitments required to complete the deal, according to Eniola Akinkuoto, spokesperson for the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission.

“The ministerial consent was accompanied by certain financial obligations to the Nigerian people with strict deadlines. However, both parties failed to meet their financial commitments after repeated extensions, forcing the commission to cancel the deal,” Akinkuoto said on Tuesday.

See also  Nigeria signs deepwater oil contract with TotalEnergies

Chappal Energies and TotalEnergies declined to comment.

One source familiar with the negotiations said Chappal failed to raise the $860 million, and as a result Total did not fulfil its requirement to pay regulatory fees and cover funds for environmental rehabilitation and future liabilities.

The failed deal leaves Total saddled with its stake in a business which has struggled with hundreds of oil spills as a result of theft, sabotage and operational issues that led to costly repairs and .

In March, Shell sold its 30% stake in SPDC to a consortium of five mostly local companies for up to $2.4 billion.
U.S. major Exxon Mobil Italy’s Eni (ENI.MI), opens new tab and Norway’s Equinor have also sold Nigerian assets in recent years to focus on newer, more profitable operations elsewhere.

See also  Dangote announces plans to expand refining capacity to 700,000bpd, says fuel queues now history

Chappal Energies, which specialises in producing oil and gas from mature and distressed upstream assets in the Niger Delta, last year successfully closed the purchase of Nigerian assets from Equinor for $1.2 billion, with financial backing from Mauritius Commercial Bank and commodities trader Trafigura.

Chappal has not disclosed its financial backers for the proposed purchase from TotalEnergies.

Other SPDC shareholders include the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (55%) and Eni (5%).

Total’s unsuccessful exit is a setback to its goal to offload more high cost, polluting assets and pay down some of its debt, which leapt 89% to $25.9 billion in the year to July.

CEO Patrick Pouyanne told investors in July the Nigerian sale was one of three deals that would bring in $3.5 billion before year-end and lower the company’s debt-to-equity ratio, which hit 28% including leases and hybrid debt at mid-year.

See also  NUPRC approves TotalEnergies’ $510m deal with Shell, Agip

The failed sale also leaves Total with interests in 15 licences in mostly oil-producing fields that netted the company about 14,000 barrels of oil-equivalent per day in 2023, as well as three licences in gas fields that account for 40% of its Nigeria LNG gas supply.

REUTERS

Related Posts

  • PIA
    NUPRC clarifies TotalEnergies/Chappal deal

    Sept. 25, 2025 The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC), has clarified the status of…

  • Nigeria signs deepwater oil contract with TotalEnergies

    September 1, 2025 Nigeria has signed a production-sharing contract (PSC) with TotalEnergies and local firm…

  • Terrorists in Sambisa forest
    Christian genocide allegation: Nigerian government replies Trump

    The Nigerian government through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has responded to President Trump’s placement…

ADVERTISEMENT

NCC Advert

Tinubu Advert

Advert

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro
  • Reps resume hearing on alleged N1.2trn agric intervention fund misappropriation

Categories

  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026 November 22, 2025
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity November 22, 2025
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward November 22, 2025
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro November 20, 2025
©2025 Gossip News

...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None