Skip to content

Gossip News

All gossip news and events

Konga Advert
Menu
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy
Menu
soccer

World Cup: FIFA strips South Africa 3 points, hope for Nigeria

Posted on September 29, 2025 by Admin
soccer
FIFA

South Africa was stripped by FIFA on Monday of a win in 2026 World Cup qualifying and lost top spot in its group for fielding an ineligible player.

FIFA´s disciplinary ruling overturned a South Africa win against Lesotho in March, left Benin top with two rounds to go and gave Nigeria fresh hope of advancing to the finals tournament.

Only the group winner on Oct. 14 will advance direct to the World Cup being co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico. South Africa has not played at a World Cup since hosting the 2010 edition.

Ahead of decisive qualifying games resuming next week, FIFA said its disciplinary judges ordered South Africa to forfeit as a 3-0 loss what had been a 2-0 victory over Lesotho.

See also  World Cup qualifier: Nigeria, 3 others listed for play off for last ticket

South Africa selected Teboho Mokoena for the game in Polokwane when the midfielder should have served a one-game ban for getting yellow cards in two previous qualifying games.

The administrative error is embarrassing for South Africa as its top soccer official, Patrice Motsepe, is a FIFA vice president as the elected leader of the Confederation of African Football (CAF). Motsepe also owns the Mamelodi Sundowns club that Mokoena plays for.

FIFA said the South African soccer federation can appeal against forfeiting the game. FIFA also fined the federation 10,000 Swiss francs ($12,500) and Mokoena was formally warned.

Without the three points, plus a negative five-goal swing in its goal difference, South Africa drops below new group leader Benin. The teams are tied on points, both three clear of Nigeria and Rwanda, but Benin´s goal difference is one better than South Africa.

See also  NPFL: Match ends in chaos as fans invade pitch, attack officials; Kano Pillars face sanction

South Africa completes the qualifying group against Zimbabwe on Oct. 10 and at home to Rwanda four days later. Zimbabwe´s “home” game is being played in South Africa, at Durban, because it does not have a national stadium that meets CAF standards.

Mokoena was picked last week in the preliminary squad for those games by coach Hugo Broos.

Benin plays at Rwanda on Oct. 10 and then goes to Nigeria, which aims to qualify for its seventh World Cup and first since 2018 in Russia. Nigeria also has to play Lesotho.

The runner-up in the group could advance to a four-team African playoffs bracket in November. That will decide which African team advances to the inter-continental playoffs in March at venues to be agreed in north America.

See also  Obi Cubana lights up Enyimba Stadium for NPFL matchday 2

-AP

 

 

Related Posts

  • FATF: Nigeria, South Africa removed from global financial crime watch list

    October 24, 2025 Sub-Saharan Africa's largest economies, South Africa and Nigeria, have been removed from…

  • soccer
    Nigeria to take on Gabon in next month’s African World Cup playoffs

    October 17, 2025 Nigeria will take on Gabon and Cameroon will play the Democratic Republic…

  • World Cup qualifier: Nigeria, 3 others listed for play off for last ticket

    Africa’s soccer ruling body, CAF, has listed the four teams that will play in a…

ADVERTISEMENT

NCC Advert

Tinubu Advert

Advert

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro
  • Reps resume hearing on alleged N1.2trn agric intervention fund misappropriation

Categories

  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026 November 22, 2025
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity November 22, 2025
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward November 22, 2025
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro November 20, 2025
©2025 Gossip News

...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None