Skip to content

Gossip News

All gossip news and events

Konga Advert
Menu
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy
Menu

Loan facility: Lawyer threatens lawsuit against Polaris Bank

Posted on October 2, 2025 by Admin
Polaris Bank logo

A lawyer, Chuckwuma-Machukwu Ume, SAN, has threatened a lawsuit against Polaris Bank for allegedly withholding a loan facility of N868 million belonging to a customer, Kenchez Nigeria Limited.

Ume, a former Attorney-General of Imo, in a letter addressed to the managing director of the bank, also demanded another refund of N16, 206,860.66 to the company.

He said the N16, 206,860.66 represented the first month’s interest which his client had already paid to Lecon Finance Company Limited, on the loan facility allegedly now being withheld by Polaris Bank.

The lawyer threatened to report the bank to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and National Deposit Insurance Company (NDIC), including other relevant
regulators, for alleged financial misconduct.

The latter, dated Sept. 15, was received by the bank on Sept. 17 and its certified true copy made available to newsmen on Thursday in Abuja.

See also  Nigeria's overnight lending rate falls 100 bps on excess liquidity, policy shift

The lawyer, in the letter, explained that Kenchez Nigeria Limited, which has been banking with Polaris Bank limited for 22 years, had applied and obtained the loan from Lecon Finance Company Limited to acquire a 160-ton Terex Demag AC160-2 Crane for it’s operational activities.

He alleged after the loan facility of N868 million was paid to Polaris Bank, which acted as the guarantee bank for the loan.

He also alleged that the bank refused to release same to its owner, Kenchez Nigeria Limited, even after satisfying all the preconditions put in place by the bank, including perfecting a legal mortgage over its property in Port Harcourt.

See also  Taming the inflation headwind, by Arize Nwobu

“This is after several demand letters by the company requesting for the utilisation of the guaranteed funds or a refund of same to Lecon Finance Company Limited have not been acted upon by the bank.”

Ume stressed that by holding unto funds earmarked for a defined purpose, the bank had acted contrary to Section 13 of the Banks and other Financial Institutions Act (BOFIA) 2020, mandating banks to conduct their operations in accordance with sound banking practices.

He said the action of the bank was “in breach of the CBN Consumer Protection Regulations, 2019, which requires fairness, transparency, and good faith in dealings with customers.”

He said that the bank had violated both Section 7 of the Money Laundering Act and Section 34 of the EFCC Act, as it cannot unilaterally freeze his client’s account or prevent it access to its account outside the rule of law.(NAN)

See also  Dangote announces plans to expand refining capacity to 700,000bpd, says fuel queues now history

 

Related Posts

  • First Bank
    Son drags First Bank, Jaiz Bank to court over late father’s savings

    A businessman, Shamsuddeen Bello, on Wednesday took First Bank and Jaiz Bank before the Upper…

  • Alleged fraudulent acts: NGO protests at CBN, Sterling Bank, submits petition against Bank

    A coalition of Civil Society Organizations against Banks Fraudulent Practices and Customers Victimization, on Wednesday,…

  • boat
    No bank robbery in Port Harcourt – Police

    Sept. 24, 2025 The Police Command in Rivers has urged residents to disregard online reports…

ADVERTISEMENT

NCC Advert

Tinubu Advert

Advert

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro
  • Reps resume hearing on alleged N1.2trn agric intervention fund misappropriation

Categories

  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026 November 22, 2025
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity November 22, 2025
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward November 22, 2025
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro November 20, 2025
©2025 Gossip News

...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None