Skip to content

Gossip News

All gossip news and events

Konga Advert
Menu
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy
Menu
walker

US declines to sign World Bank directors’ joint statement on climate agenda

Posted on October 9, 2025 by Admin

October 9, 2025

Nineteen of the World Bank’s 25 executive directors issued a joint statement this week affirming their support for the bank’s continued work on climate change, defying the U.S., the bank’s largest shareholder, and several other countries.

The executive directors for the U.S., Russia, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia declined to sign the document; Japan and India – both negotiating trade deals with the U.S. – abstained, a source familiar with the matter said.

The directors, who represent 120 countries, issued the statement after a board meeting with World Bank management, underscoring their expectation that the bank will stick to its climate change action plan goals, including a pledge to devote 45% of its annual financing to climate-related projects.

The document, a copy of which was viewed by Reuters, reflects the deep divide separating most other countries from the U.S. and a handful of allies over climate change. It comes days before the start of the annual meetings in Washington of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund.

See also  In the eye of Trump’s storm, by Monday Philips Ekpe

The U.S. is the largest shareholder in both institutions and plays a big role in shaping their work and agendas.

Reuters reported this week that the European Union will double down on its support for reforming global development banks to do more to fight climate change.

In April, at the last IMF-World Bank meetings, U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called on both institutions to refocus on their core mandates and said they were devoting too much time and resources to topics like climate change.

The leaders of both institutions have gone largely silent on climate change since U.S. President Donald Trump took office, and the issue is not highlighted in next week’s agenda. Trump last month dismissed climate change as a “con job.”

See also  Trump administration planning 7,500-person refugee ceiling, sources say

The statement also called for aligning the bank’s work with the Paris climate accord, from which U.S. President Donald Trump withdrew shortly after taking office in January. It also called for continuing to factor climate change into its core diagnostic work.

“We reaffirm our support for the World Bank Group’s leadership role across the (International Financial Institutions) on climate and nature action, advocating for and supporting countries’ demand for low carbon, climate resilient, and nature positive pathways,” the statement said.

The directors also called for further work in some areas under the bank’s current Climate Change Action Plan, supporting workers as their countries transition away from coal, a shift described as “complex but essential for energy transition.”

More work was also needed in helping countries design and implement long-term national climate and development plans, and developing effective carbon markets, the letter said.

See also  Mass sack at Dangote Refinery over sabotage, safety concerns

The statement listed several areas that were being demanded by client countries but are not covered by the bank’s current climate change plan, including addressing pollution, mainstreaming nature and scaling adaptation and resilience efforts.

REUTERS

Related Posts

  • nigeria
    World Bank raises Sub-Sahara Africa growth forecast on inflation drop

    October 7, 2025 Sub-Saharan African economies are expected to grow by a faster 3.8% this…

  • nigeria
    World Bank lauds Nigeria’s ACReSAL project as huge success

    Sept. 25, 2025 The World Bank has ranked Nigeria’s Agro-Climatic Resilience in Semi-Arid Landscapes (ACReSAL)…

  • nigeria
    Nigeria's economy growing but high food prices a burden, World Bank says

    October 8, 2025 Nigeria has made significant progress in stabilising its economy through recent policy…

ADVERTISEMENT

NCC Advert

Tinubu Advert

Advert

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro
  • Reps resume hearing on alleged N1.2trn agric intervention fund misappropriation

Categories

  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026 November 22, 2025
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity November 22, 2025
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward November 22, 2025
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro November 20, 2025
©2025 Gossip News

...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None