Skip to content

Gossip News

All gossip news and events

Konga Advert
Menu
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy
Menu

UN attack: DSS blames delay in trial of suspects on legal, procedural issues

Posted on November 5, 2025 by Admin

Nov. 5, 2025

The Department of State Services (DSS) has blamed delay in the trial of terrorism suspects, accused of masterminding the Aug. 26, 2011 bombing of the UN building on legal and procedural issues.

Favour Dozie, Deputy Director, Public Relations and Strategic Communications of the DSS said this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.

Dozie said that the five suspects arrested in 2016 over the attack that led to the death of 20 people and more than 70 others injured were currently being prosecuted.

According to the DSS deputy director, said that the trial had been delayed for an extended period due to legal and procedural issues, including the suspects being occasionally brought to court without counsel appearing for them.

”The DSS recently requested the court to grant accelerated hearing in the case, a request Justice Emeka Nwite granted.

”On Oct. 23 and 24, a trial-within-trial was conducted, during which videos of the defendants’ confessional statements were played in the courtroom.”

See also  UNILAG introduces 9-month course on election monitoring

Dozie added that Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court in Abuja would on Nov. 19 continue the trial of two terrorism suspects who were wanted internationally.

The DSS deputy director, public relations and strategic communication explained that the suspects were arrested in a high-risk, intelligence-led, counter-terrorism operation in July by operatives of the DSS after several months of chasing.

Dozie said that the two suspects were believed to be leaders of the Jama’atu Ansarul Muslimina fi-Biladis Sudan, commonly known as ANSARU, Nigeria’s Al-Qaeda affiliate.

”One of the suspects, a self-styled Emir of ANSARU, allegedly coordinated various terrorist sleeper cells across Nigeria.

”He is also believed to have masterminded several high-profile kidnappings and robberies, the proceeds of which were used to finance terrorism over the years.

”The second suspect, chief of staff and deputy to the first suspect is alleged to have led the so-called “Mahmudawa” cell, which operated around the Kainji National Park.

See also  Christian genocide allegation: Nigerian government replies Trump

”The cell is located on the border between the states of Niger and Kwara, as well as the Republic of Benin,” Dozie said.

The DSS deputy director, public relations and strategic communication, further said that the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), in a statement on Aug. 16, claimed that one of the suspects received training in Libya between 2013 and 2015.

According to Dozie the training was under foreign jihadist instructors from Egypt, Tunisia, and Algeria.

The DSS deputy director, public relations and strategic communication also said that the two suspects were being tried on a 32-count terrorism charge with one of the counts related to illegal mining.

Dozie also revealed that the DSS on Aug. 11, arraigned five suspects before a Federal High Court in Abuja over alleged involvement in the June 5, 2022 attack at St. Francs Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State.

See also  Senate calls for diplomatic measures to repatriate Nigerians trapped in Libyan prisons

”The suspects were arrested over the attack that led to the death of over 40 people and over 100 others injured were arraigned on a nine-count terrorism charge.

”Their charges include being members of Al Shabab terrorist group, with cell in Kogi, and carrying out the attack in furtherance of their religious ideology among others.

Related Posts

  • FG vs ASUU
    Alleged terrorism: Court grants DSS prayer for accelerated trial of Al-Barnawi, 4 others

    Sept. 12, 2025 The Federal High Court has granted a prayer by the Department of…

  • Police
    Drug trafficking: Police nabs 11 suspects in Abuja

    Sept. 28, 2025 The Police Command in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, said it…

  • Police
    Kaduna: Police rescues 17 trafficked children, detains 3 suspects

    Nov. 11, 2025 The Police in Kaduna have apprehended three suspected child traffickers and rescued…

ADVERTISEMENT

NCC Advert

Tinubu Advert

Advert

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro
  • Reps resume hearing on alleged N1.2trn agric intervention fund misappropriation

Categories

  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026 November 22, 2025
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity November 22, 2025
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward November 22, 2025
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro November 20, 2025
©2025 Gossip News

...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None