Skip to content

Gossip News

All gossip news and events

Konga Advert
Menu
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy
Menu
Police

IGP withdraws fraud charge against Andy Uba after refund of N400m

Posted on November 6, 2025 by Admin

Nov. 6, 2025

The Inspector-General (I-G) of Police, on Thursday, withdrew the fraud charge filed against Sen. Andy Uba and Benjamin Etu, after the refund of the disputed N400 million to the nominal complaint, Dr. George Uboh.

IGP’s lawyer, Aminu Abdullahi, informed Justice Mohammed Umar of the Federal High Court in Abuja that the money in dispute had been paid by the defendants.

When the matter was called for arraignment of Uba and Etu, Abdullahi told the court that the prosecution had filed a notice of discontinuance following an amicable settlement of the issue by parties.

He said a notice of discontinuance was filed pursuant to Section 108(5) of Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015 and urged the court to terminate any further proceedings into the case forthwith.

“We filed and served a notice of discontinuance this morning,” he said.

According to Abdullahi, the suspects and the nominal complainant have amicably resolved and settled all disputes, claims and liabilities arising from or connected with the transaction.

He told the court that Uba, the former Senator representing Anambra South Senatorial District and his co-defendant had paid the sum of N400 million involved in the charge to the nominal complainant.

The defence lawyer, C.F. Odiniru, did not oppose the application for withdrawal of the case.

Odiniru, however, said that an affidavit of facts had been filed and served, informing the court of their circumstances in reaching amicable resolution.

See also  Sex Trafficking: Ondo govt. rescues 15 girls, dismantles syndicate

Responding, Justice Umar said that it had been overtaken by events.

Odiniru then prayed the court to dismiss the charge, rather than striking it out since parties were now happy with one another and that there was no more disagreement.

He said his request for dismissal of the charge was in line with Section 108(3) of ACJA, 2015.

In the affidavit of facts dated and filed on Nov. 5, Etu the averred that the nominal complainant (Dr Uboh) had received and acknowledged payment of the total sum of N400 million as full refund of the said amount in dispute as evidenced by a duly executed settlement agreement annexed and marked as Exhibit A.

Etu also said that he had the consent and authority of Sen. Uba to depose to the affidavit on his behalf

Justice Umar, in a ruling, granted the notice of discontinuance as prayed by the police, struck out the charges and discharged Andy Uba and Etu.

The judge had, on Sept. 24, threatened to issue a bench warrant for the arrest of Uba if he fails to appear in court to stand his trial.

The development followed an application by Abdullahi that a bench warrant be issued against Uba in line with Section 394 of Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015, following his continuous absence in court.

See also  NBA demands justice, protection for family of boy allegedly killed by police in Cross River

Abdullahi had said that Uba’s consistent absence had shown a disrespect to the court which had equally stalled his trial.

He said since the charge was filed in 2024, Uba had never appeared in court.

Odiniru, however, pleaded for more time to allow his client present himself in court.

The lawyer hinged Uba’s absence on his ill-health.

The judge, who adjourned the matter, said: “I will give you the last opportunity.”

The Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) had, on July 7, given the I-G the permission to prosecute Uba and Etu.

The prosecution had, on March 5, amended a two-count charge filed against Uba and his co-defendant before the former trial judge, Justice Inyang Ekwo.

The police had earlier named Uba and two others in the first charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/538/2024.

Uba’s co-defendants, in the two-count charge filed Oct. 10, 2024 by Abdulrashid Sidi in the Legal/Prosecution Section at the Police Force Headquarters, Abuja, were Crystal Uba and Benjamin Etu as 2nd and 3rd defendants respectively.

But in the amended charge filed March 4 by Sidi, Uba and Etu are listed as 1st and 2nd defendants, while Crystal Uba’s name had been dropped form the charge.

In count one, Uba, Etu and Hajiya Fatima now at large, sometimes in 2022, were alleged to have conspired amongst themselves to commit the offence.

See also  PENGASSAN orders nationwide strike over sack of Dangote Refinery workers

Uba and others were accused of obtaining by false pretence, by making a presentation to Mr. George Uboh that they had perfected ways for the appointment of the Managing Director of Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) to any interested persons who could afford N400 million.

“A presentation which you know is not true and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 8 and punishable under Section 1 (3) of the Advance Fee Fraud and other Fraud Related offences Act, 2006.”

The offence, the prosecution said, is contrary to Section 1 (2) and punishable under Section 1 (3) of the Advance Fee Fraud and other Fraud Related offences Act, 2006,” the count read in part.

Uboh, in a letter dated April 5, 2023, and addressed to the I-G, said the petition was based on documentary and voice recording.

The prosecution said it had intended to call six witnesses to testify against the ex-lawmaker and Etu.(NAN)

Related Posts

  • NDDC job: Andy Uba, Etu refund N400m; I-G withdraws fraud charge

    The Inspector-General (I-G) of Police, on Thursday, withdrew the fraud charge filed against Sen. Andy…

  • FG vs ASUU
    Petrol station manager faces N9.9m fraud charge

    Oct. 31, 2025 A 52-year-old petrol station manager, Mrs Bose Agemo, on Friday appeared before…

  • DSS files charge against man for allegedly calling for coup

    Nov. 12, 2025 The Department of State Services (DSS), on Tuesday, filed a criminal charge…

ADVERTISEMENT

NCC Advert

Tinubu Advert

Advert

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro
  • Reps resume hearing on alleged N1.2trn agric intervention fund misappropriation

Categories

  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026 November 22, 2025
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity November 22, 2025
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward November 22, 2025
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro November 20, 2025
©2025 Gossip News

...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None