Skip to content

Gossip News

All gossip news and events

Konga Advert
Menu
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy
Menu
Kano

Deforestation: Kano govt. bans illegal chainsaw use for tree cutting, violators risk jail

Posted on September 9, 2025 by Admin

Sept. 9, 2025

The Kano State Government has announced a statewide ban on the illegal use of chainsaws for tree cutting, felling or trimming, as part of efforts to curb indiscriminate deforestation and protect the environment.

The action also aims to safeguard community livelihoods, and ensure the sustainability of natural resources in the state.

The State Commissioner for Environment and Climate Change, Dr. Dahiru Muhammad-Hashim, disclosed this on Tuesday at a news conference in Kano.

He said the ban was backed by relevant laws, including section 20 of the 1999 Constitution, the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA) Act 2007, and the National Environmental Regulations 2014 on tree cutting.

See also  EFCC, NIS, NCoS Complete Deportation of 192 Foreigners Convicted for Cyber-Terrorism in Lagos

He explained that the decision aligned with the Nigerian implementation Strategy under the NDC 3.0, which aimed to reduce deforestation by 60 per cent and restore degraded forests through sustainable management.

“To regulate chainsaw operations, the ministry has introduced the Chainsaw Usage Permit Framework (CUPF).

“The framework has two categories: the Chainsaw Operator License (CUPF-A), which requires that all commercial operators and logging businesses must register annually with the ministry and the Tree Felling/Trimming Permit (CUPF-B) mandatory for all tree removal or trimming in both public and private spaces,” he said.

“Each tree felled must be replaced with at least two to three saplings as part of our reforestation plan. Fees collected will fund replanting and climate resilience programmes,” the commissioner said.

See also  Stopping Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan’s resumption, a constitutional violation: PDP

Muhammad-Hashim explained that a digital registry of licensed operators and permits had been created, with each permit carrying a QR code for real-time verification.

“Monitoring and Enforcement will be carried out in collaboration with security agencies, local government authorities, traditional institutions, and community forest monitors”

He warned that violators risked fines of ₦500,000, confiscation of equipment and possible imprisonment for operating chainsaws without a license, while those who fell trees without a permit facing ₦250,000 fine per tree in addition to replanting orders.

He called on local government chairmen, schools, mosques, religious leaders and traditional institutions to support enforcement and sensitise communities on the dangers of illegal tree felling.

See also  Man jailed 7 years with hard labour for kidnapping UI undergraduate

The commissioner further urged chainsaw operators, institutions, businesses and individuals to comply fully with the new regulation, stressing the government’s commitment to protecting Kano’s environment and strengthening resilience against climate change.(NAN)

Related Posts

  • Hisbah arrests 5 over alleged illegal marriage in Kano

    Oct. 13, 2025 ...Says ₦10,000 dowry below minimum Islamic legal standards The Kano State Hisbah…

  • FG vs ASUU
    Woman jailed 4 years for trafficking in Kano

    Nov. 7, 2025 A Federal High Court sitting in Kano on Friday, sentenced a 20-year-old…

  • Kano
    End unconstitutional deportation of northerners From FCT to Kano - Kano govt

    Sept.4, 2025 Kano State Government has expressed concern over the repeated deportation of citizens from…

ADVERTISEMENT

NCC Advert

Tinubu Advert

Advert

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro
  • Reps resume hearing on alleged N1.2trn agric intervention fund misappropriation

Categories

  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026 November 22, 2025
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity November 22, 2025
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward November 22, 2025
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro November 20, 2025
©2025 Gossip News

...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None