Skip to content

Gossip News

All gossip news and events

Konga Advert
Menu
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy
Menu
Senate passes Finance Bill

Kebbi abduction: Recruit additional 100,000 military personnels, Senate urges FG

Posted on November 18, 2025 by Admin

Nov 18, 2025

The Senate has urged the Federal Government to as a matter of urgency, recruit at least additional 100, 000 military personnels to curb security challenges across the country.

This followed adoption of a motion on the killing of the Vice Principal and abduction of 25 students of Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga, in Zuru emirate of Kebbi State.

The motion was sponsored by Sen. Abdulahi Yahaya (APC-Kebbi) at Tuesday’s plenary.

Yahaya in his motion said despite some police presence, which proved insufficient, the terrorists invaded the school, abducting 25 young girls, killing the vice-principal, and wounding the principal.

He said such abduction of schoolgirls was a slap in the face of the nation, noting that the continued attacks by terrorist groups on educational institutions not only undermined the quality of education but also discourage parents from sending their children to school.

“Unfortunately, this is not unprecedented. In 2022, a similar attack occurred in another government secondary school in Kebbi, and it took four long years for the girls to be safely recovered.

“Mr President, I am deeply hurt by this recurring menace. The terrorisation of our students, children, and educational institutions must stop immediately.

“Security measures previously taken, including temporary school closures in the affected areas, were not enough to prevent this latest attack.

See also  Gunmen kill 12 forest guards in Kwara community attack, many others injured

“I urge the federal government and all security agencies to take immediate action to rescue the abducted girls and apprehend the terrorists responsible.

“While we pray for the swift recovery of the wounded principal, I also request this distinguished Senate to observe a minute of silence in honor of the deceased vice-principal.

“This attack is not only a tragedy for Kebbi State but a wake-up call for the entire nation. A country that cannot secure its children cannot fulfill its obligations to its citizens.

“I appeal to the President and all security agencies to leave no stone unturned in ensuring the safe recovery of the girls and the punishment of the perpetrators,” the senator said.

lawmakers who expressed outrage over the dastardly act noted that the renewed assault on schools raises questions on if funds allocated to securing school environments was properly utilised.

Sen. Asuquo Ekpenyong (APC-Cross River) said the incident was a heartbreaking and gut-wrenching tragedy.

“Schoolchildren, who go to school to learn and develop themselves and their communities, are no longer safe.

“The Senate must pass a resolution that demands decisive action from security agencies, providing all necessary resources, but also setting clear ultimatum and consequences for failure.

See also  DSS files charge against man for allegedly calling for coup

“Protecting the lives and property of our citizens, especially our children, is the primary responsibility of the government.

“We must act effectively and decisively to end the insecurity that has plagued this nation for over a decade.”

Sen Sani Musa (APC-Niger) while commending the armed forces for their efforts, observed that they were overwhelmed.

“With a population exceeding 230 million and only 177,000 personnel, it is impossible to cover every area, especially forests and remote regions.

“We must rethink our approach. Traditional rulers, communities, and individuals must play a proactive role. We need to identify and expose those responsible for these crimes, at every level, and ensure accountability.

“Every Nigerian must take the law seriously and partner with the government and security agencies. Repeating motions and committees without action has led to repeated tragedies.

“It is time for a collective national effort to secure our children and communities”, Sani said.

The Senate also in its resolution constituted an Ad Hoc Committee to investigate the Safe School Programme.

The committee which comprised Finance, Education, Defence, Army, Navy is to investigate the Safe School Programme, including funding, expenditure and the reasons for its failure to secure schools.

See also  Political parties as SPVs, by Pius Mordi

President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio in his remarks, sympathised with the families of the victims.

“Nigeria is a large nation of 36 states and the FCT. Our security agencies are overstretched. Even during elections we cannot post one policeman per polling unit, terrorists often strike in locations that are difficult to predict.

“No country is free of crime, but our responsibility is to make laws, pass motions, and take decisions that reduce crime to the barest minimum.

“We urge the Armed Forces and all Nigerians with useful information to assist in securing the release of these children and ensuring justice for the victims.

The senate thereafter observed a one-minute silence in honour of the victims.(NAN

Related Posts

  • Senate confirms Amupitan as new INEC Chairman

    Oct. 16, 2025 The Senate has confirmed the appointment of Prof. Joash Amupitan (SAN) as…

  • Terrorists in Zamfara
    Bandits abduct Kebbi Deputy Speaker - Police

    Nov. 1, 2025 The Kebbi Police Command has confirmed the abduction of the Deputy Speaker…

  • Tinubu seeks Senate approval of N1.15trn domestic loan

    Nov 4, 2025 President Bola Tinubu has sought the approval of Senate for a fresh…

ADVERTISEMENT

NCC Advert

Tinubu Advert

Advert

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro
  • Reps resume hearing on alleged N1.2trn agric intervention fund misappropriation

Categories

  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026 November 22, 2025
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity November 22, 2025
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward November 22, 2025
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro November 20, 2025
©2025 Gossip News

...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None