Skip to content

Gossip News

All gossip news and events

Konga Advert
Menu
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy
Menu

Senator Nwoko seeks urgent activation of emergency medical treatment funds

Posted on September 24, 2025 by Admin

Sept. 24, 2025

Sen. Ned Nwoko (APC-Delta), has called for the urgent activation and implementation of the Emergency Medical Treatment (EMT) funds as provided for under Section A150 of the National Health Act 2014.

Nwoko, who represents Delta North Senatorial District, made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Abuja on Wednesday.

The funds, which are derived from a five per cent allocation of the Basic Health Care Provision Fund (BHCPF), he said, are intended to finance the National Emergency Medical Service and Ambulance System (NEMSAS).

He noted that emergencies occur daily across Nigeria not only in the form of blood, broken bones, and fading pulses, but also in heartbreaking situations where help should come but does not, due to hospitals demanding upfront payment before treatment.

He said this leaves many Nigerians to die from preventable conditions,.

He also noted that more than 75 per cent of Nigerians finance their healthcare expenses out-of-pocket — one of the highest proportions globally, describing the development as an unstable situation that pushes millions into poverty, and exposes citizens to poor health outcomes.

According to him, the National Health Act, signed into law on Oct. 31, 2014, was designed to provide a comprehensive legal framework for the regulation, development, and management of the country’s health system.

See also  All passengers safe as NRC responds to Warri- Itakpe train derailment

“This is with the aim of raising national healthcare standards, improving accessibility, and ensuring equitable service delivery for all Nigerians;

“Section A150 of the Act establishes the Basic Health Care Provision Fund (BHCPF), financed through one per cent of the Federal Government’s consolidated revenue alongside grants from international donors and other approved sources.

“The Act specifies clear allocations for the fund, including 50 per cent for the provision of a basic minimum package of health services through the National Health Insurance Scheme.

”Others are 20 per cent for procurement of essential drugs, vaccines, and consumables and 15 per cent for maintenance of healthcare facilities, equipment, and transport across eligible centres.

“Also 10 per cent is allocated for the development of human resources for primary healthcare delivery and five per cent specifically earmarked for emergency medical treatment, to be managed by a committee appointed by the National Council on Health.”

The lawmaker said that in spite of the clarity of this statutory framework, there was no public evidence that the five per cent emergency medical treatment allocation had been implemented or made accessible to Nigerians in urgent need, thereby defeating the essence of its creation.

He recalled the death of Sen. Ibrahim Kontagora, after a hospital declined to conduct a critical surgery due to non-payment of a 15,000 dollars deposit.

See also  ‎Air Peace begins direct flight from Abuja to London Heathrow Airport

“Also was the case of Mrs. Akinbobola Folajimi, a pregnant woman who was denied emergency treatment because of the husband’s inability to immediately pay N500,000 deposit.

“The cases have brought renewed national attention to the failures in Nigeria’s emergency healthcare delivery system,” he said.

Nwoko noted that these were not isolated cases as every day, countless Nigerians lose their lives due to the inability to access emergency care in critical moments, as hospitals insist on deposits before treatment.

“This is in total disregard of Section A150 (2)(c) of the National Health Act, which mandates the provision of emergency medical treatment without demand for initial payment,” he stressed.

He added that the non-implementation of this provision undermined public confidence in the health sector, violates the spirit of the law, and negates Nigeria’s obligation to protect the right to life as guaranteed under the 1999 Constitution (as amended).

He therefore called for the immediate activation and operationalisation of the Emergency Medical Treatment Fund by the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, in collaboration with the National Council on Health, as stipulated under Section A150 of the National Health Act 2014.

The senator also called on the Federal Government to mandate the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA), and other relevant stakeholders to publish and implement a transparent framework on how Nigerians can access the emergency fund.

See also  Chinese firms invest $1.3bn in Nigeria’s lithium sector – Alake

“The Senate should also direct the committees on Health (Secondary and Tertiary), and Legislative Compliance to invite the Minister of Health and Social Welfare, the Executive Secretary of the NHIA, and the Director-General of the NPHCDA to brief it on the current status of the BHCPF.

“This is with specific focus on the utilisation of the five per cent allocation for emergency medical treatment.

“I also call on the Federal Government to establish a dedicated Emergency Medical Response System linked to the Fund, with a toll-free national emergency number, ambulance services, and designated hospitals with mandate to provide first-response treatment without delay.

“The committee on Health in the Senate should also ensure strict oversight on the full implementation of BHCPF,” Nwoko said. (NAN)(

Related Posts

  • prevention guild
    Pollution: LASG seals Yabatech sewage treatment facility

    October 17, 2025 The Lagos State Wastewater Management Office (LSWMO) has sealed the dysfunctional Sewage…

  • Gov. Fubara resumes Thursday as Tinubu lifts emergency rule in Rivers

    Sept. 17, 2025 President Bola Tinubu has lifted the State of Emergency in Rivers State,…

  • Somali Medical Students Complete internship training at ABU Zaria

    Sept. 15, 2025 Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria, has graduated the first batch of 23…

ADVERTISEMENT

NCC Advert

Tinubu Advert

Advert

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro
  • Reps resume hearing on alleged N1.2trn agric intervention fund misappropriation

Categories

  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Local News
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Posts

  • Alleged Emefiele’s $4.5bn Fraud : Court Adjourns Forensic Inspection of Exhibit to January 2026 November 22, 2025
  • FG closes 41 Unity Colleges over insecurity November 22, 2025
  • Education district IV hosts Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Edward November 22, 2025
  • Tinubu, Oborevwori and Delta security, by Ray Umukoro November 20, 2025
©2025 Gossip News

...
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None